Thursday, August 25, 2011

Early Review: A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

A Beautiful Dark

Description


On the night of Skye’s seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye’s life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.
 
In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.
 
A Beautiful Dark is the first book in a captivating trilogy by debut author Jocelyn Davies. (Goodreads)
 

Book Details

Title: A Beautiful Dark
Author: Jocelyn Davies
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Angels
Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: September 27, 2011 
ISBN-10: 0061990655
ISBN-13: 978-0061990656
Source: NetGalley/ Publishers

Review


Love triangles, and angels, and crazy cliff hangers… oh my.

Finally a YA book with a main character that has friends that I really like. Real friends that were supportive and not annoying. I especially loved Skye’s best friend Cassie who stood by Skye through thick and thin. As much as I enjoyed the characters in A Beautiful Dark what rubbed me the wrong way was how often Skye’s Aunt was gone. I mean come on what parent is going to leave their teenage daughter home alone for 10 days? Mine never did. Maybe I’m just jealous.

Speaking of Skye, I liked her. I felt like she was a strong, smart character that showed a lot of emotion. I don’t know what I would do in her situation. Normally in a love triangle you can pick who you would go with…um, let me clarify that…who I would want Skye to go with, but, let me tell you right now, with Devin and Asher I just have no idea.

Asher and Devin are rivals and both are vying for Skye’s trust and, well, other things. Neither Asher nor Devin are supposed to want Skye romantically, but you can guess how that goes. As A Beautiful Dark progresses you don’t know who to trust, even though you want to trust them both. All of this leads up to a stellar of a cliffhanger ending that had me biting my nails off.

Dear Jocelyn Davies,
I need the next book. You just drove me crazy with that ending!

Happy Reading,
Rebecca

4 moons
4 moons: I loved it. It's reread worthy.

Recommended For

Teen and up: For language, drinking, kissing,and some violence.

10 comments:

  1. Cliff-hangers AND love triangles? Eek...Alright so, that's two ploys I really hate. But the books sounds so intriguing! I'm going to think it over...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this book. *writing it on my TBR list*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, and now you're going to have to wait for a long time for the sequel. I love when a love triangle actually IS a love triangle and you can't decide who you like either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, the cliffhanger... Hopefully it won't be long before the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to add this to my tbr list. Great cover also!

    Falling For Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds really great and the cover is amazing! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover on this one is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A huge cliffie then add a love triangle are just a couple of things to keep a reader hooked alright. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! Totally agree as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a great read You should all try it! Thanks for the comment LOVE :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!