Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Review: Night Broken by Patricia Briggs

Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
Night Broken
Patricia Briggs
Series: Mercy Thompson #8
Print Length: 353 pages 
Publisher: Ace
Release Date: March 11, 2014

An unexpected phone call heralds a new challenge for Mercy. Her mate Adam’s ex-wife is in trouble, on the run from her new boyfriend. Adam isn’t the kind of man to turn away a person in need—and Mercy knows it. But with Christy holed up in Adam’s house, Mercy can’t shake the feeling that something about the situation isn’t right.

Soon, her suspicions are confirmed when she learns that Christy has the farthest thing from good intentions. She wants Adam back and she’s willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen, including turning Adam’s pack against Mercy.

Mercy isn’t about to step down without a fight, but there’s a more dangerous threat circling. Christy’s ex is more than a bad man—in fact, he may not be human at all. As the bodies start piling up, Mercy must put her personal troubles aside to face a creature with the power to tear her whole world apart.


Review


Hello! Can I get a little cover love appreciation right now? The walking stick made the cover!!! Woot! Woot! I have a lot of love for the fey artifact that follows Mercy around.


In the weeks leading up to this release I reread all seven previous books. One thing I love about this series is how each book builds from the story and world right into the next. I feel like I have grown with Mercy and all the other characters that Briggs has brought to life in these eight books through the years.


If you have yet to start this series and think you are going to pick it up you need to stop reading now.


What I liked about Night Broken


I loved the continual relationship build between Adam and Mercy! Yes, they are mated and married, but I in no way get bored with them. Between Mercy’s quick wit and Adam’s temper/alpha-ness I don’t think I could ever get bored with their back and forth.


I really enjoyed getting to see more of the Pack interworking's/ magic, and how the influence of one B*&%$ can throw off the entire dynamic. I don’t want to get all spoilery… If you read the description above you know what I’m talking about. I also loved the pacing of Night Broken! Once I started reading I could not stop. In fact once I reached the end I actually went back quite a few chapters and reread it just to make sure I didn’t miss anything.


I got to see a little of everyone I love in this installment, with the exception of Bran and Zee, but they where mentioned. But, to make up for the lack of page play by characters I know I got to enjoy two new ones! Zack is a submissive wolf that is traveling through and joins the pack while he is in the area. Because of the way he is presented and the way things are left with Zack, I’m pretty sure he will get more page time in the future. Gary Laughingdog, who just happens to be the son of Coyote (who got some fun page time), and is Mercy’s brother. Gary has trouble follow him around in the same way Mercy does. I really liked the meeting, and the dynamic between Gary and Mercy throughout Broken Night. Gary, with the help of Coyote brought a lot of fun and light into this book.


For all those that love Stefan as much as I do he does play a part in Night Broken, and a secret is revealed that he has been keeping from Mercy… I love him even more!


What dove me insane


Christy!!! I HATE Adams ex! I wanted so badly for Mercy to throw her into the volcano. I can’t think of one good thing about her character. I can say that Mercy handled her with way more grace than I ever could have around this woman. My only conciliation to Christy’s character is just that… She is only a character. I honestly don’t know anyone in real life as horrible as her.


One other thing that got to me just a bit is how things wrapped up a little too quickly. There is a lot going on in Night Broken and a lot of story lines that are woven together. I would have liked this to have been a little longer and maybe even a bit drawn out, just to answer a few more questions I have, but I guess I will have to wait until the next installment.


What I want to see in future books

  • I want to know what is in store for Honey after hearing Gary’s mini prediction at the jail.
  • I want to know what happened to Zack.
  • I always want more Stefan!
  • More of Mercy with all her father figures. Girl has like three dads…
  • Mercy and Adam
  • More Wulfe. Even though he scares the crap out of me!

Ok, I’m stopping there or we will be here all night. I may be way to involved in these fictional peoples lives…

4 Moons: I will be rereading this.


Happy reading y’all
Signature 


Other Books in This Series

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)Bone Crossed (Mercedes Thompson, #4)
Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for the comment love!